Re: [MV] CHEAP (er) 24 to 12 volt converters, if you care

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 13:00:12 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Kirkley" <mojoedd@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] CHEAP (er) 24 to 12 volt converters, if you care

> Jeff,
>
> I understand the wording of your message and in that setup I tend to agree.
> On the other hand in a two 12 volt battery system with two alternators that
> each provide power to one battery, (such as my CUCV), I wouldn't think that
> this would apply?

The piece from Jeff is quite correct when the system is fed by one charge source
only and I was going to point out the subtle but substantial difference, as Ed
has done here, with the twin 12V alternator arrangement; although entirely alien
to us here and I cannot think of one commercial or military vehicle this end
which uses such a system. Apart from being able to handle imbalanced loads I
cannot understand why such complexity is designed-in in the first place.

Its not just a case of discharging one battery of the 24V bank, you can envision
this with just one of the older style batteries having inter-cell lead links on
the outside. Here it is quite possible to tap one cell for instance (should you
want a nominal 2V source) and again destroy that cell and thus the other 5 by
the means previously described.

Richard
Southampton - England
-Solent Area MVT-