Re: [MV] Kettenkrads and funny translations

From: John Stewart-Smith (john_stewartsmith@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 15:23:08 PST

Normally in German, the phrase is "Ich komme aus..." , "I come from...." ,
rather than the English usage, "I am a...." , as in "I am a New Yorker".
Kennedy used "Ich bin ein..." which is "I am a...".
People from Berlin do sometimes call themselves Berliners, tongue in cheek.
(ouch). Natives of Hamburg usually do not call themselves Hamburgers, unless
they have a sense of humour. (Rare for a German)
A perfectionist with a translation dictionary will point out that "Ich komme
aus..." literally translates as "I come out of....".
Remember, I said that machines tend to translate literally, humans tend to
translate with more flowing accuracy.
I had no idea that I was opening a bucket of worms by offering my
translation. No two people will translate an entire paragraph in an
identical manner.
I'll try to finish on a funny note. There is a major city in Austria called
Vienna. In the German language, Vienna is spelt Wien. Wien is where
Wienerschnitzel, Wienerwurst (Vienna sausage) etc. come from.
Natives of Wien call themselves Austrians.
-John