Re: [MV] Kettenkrads and funny translations

From: John Stewart-Smith (john_stewartsmith@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 03:44:46 PST

Finally! I found a use for being able to speak foreign languages!
Here is my (official US DoD) translation:

"I also own a tracked vehicle and at this time I am putting together a list
of tracked vehicle owners. I have addresses for parts and eventually can
help. With friendly greetings, Reiner Bamberger."

Software translation programs are okay, but there's no substitute for a
human translator. The problem with software programs is that they translate
literally, which frequently confuses the meaning of the message. They also
cannot translate colloquialisms.
The US military pays FLPP (Foreign Language Proficiency Pay) to all tested
foreign language speakers, except Spanish and Tagalog. This came about after
notable gaffes, such as President Kennedy proclaiming "Ich bin ein
Berliner!" ( I am a jelly doughnut!) and President Carter in Gdansk hoping
that the American people and the Polish people could have carnal relations
in the near future.
Hope that makes you smile!

-John (7 languages) in Austin