Re: [MV] New List, Why Not?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 05:37:42 PST

It really is a shame that back in the late forties the government decided to
release all the Jeeps, CCKW's and DUKW's. Those of us serious hobbyist's
diligently seeking to preserve the Liberty Trucks, the vehicles our boys road
into the Great War with, have to put up with all this information about these
newfangled things. But I suppose that is OK, 'cause this is just a fad...the
public will wake up and recognize that there is no historic value to these
things...they are best left to the loggers, hunters and tour operators. Time
to wake up folks, not many W.W.I veteran's left, we need to preserve their
contribution! The country is covered up with WWII veteran's and their
surplus equipment, what historic value could it have? Who would want to buy
one of these new US6 Studebaker's fresh from government release and call that
preserving? Poppycock....a preservationist would be rooting that W.W.I
Studebaker wagon out of field and restoring it!!! I just found a manual that
says that every-other spoke of the wheel was turned differently, now that is
information worth sharing. If so much space wasn't wasted telling me about
half-tracks, then folks could hear about my wagon wheel spokes.
 I can't believe the money being wasted on this War Assets Administration,
and so much space on the radio too! What do I care how to buy one of those,
what are those things called, a Bantam BCR, BRC....oh who knows what them
thangs are called, I just know that it is hard to find a good Renault tank?
It sure is a shame that when The Great War ended nobody tried to save any of
these....what were those folks thinking? It is so difficult for me to turn
the pages in my newspaper so I don't have to read about this new stuff. The
other day my boy came home from school and said the teacher said Halsey was
trying to raise money to preserve the USS Enterprise! Can you believe this!
Oughta do that just like those airplanes, turn 'em into scrap, get some of my
money back and hold down my taxes. I here over in France some yahoo is
rounding up German vehicles from this latest war, taking 'em some place
called Samour....why bother? Should be looking for one of those first German
tanks, like they used in the Great War instead.
Read the other day that the Spanish-American War Wagon Collector's
Association went out of business, said something about lack of interest and
loss of members. I am not surprised...nobody cares about that ancient
history....now The Great War, that is worthy, saved civilization as we know
it.

Anyone see themselves?

Regards,
David Doyle