Re: [MV] Mapquest directions to HMV events

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 08:31:15 PDT

>(required HMV content) Be aware of this 'feature' when going to Toby* or
>any other HMV event

To add more warning to Steve's note...

Last week I used MapQuest to find directions from my house to a friend's
within my state. The major roads are far and few inbetween around here.
 The path that MapQuest gave was a dud. It would have taken me at least
45 minutes extra on a 2:40 minute trip, not to mention being much longer
in miles (i.e. fuel consumption).

From what I can figure MapQuest "weighs" road classification too highly
vs. most direct/quickest route. In reality the two roads in question are
about the same in terms of speed and quality, even if one is classified
better than the other. So MapQuest apparantly thought the secondary
route (or in this case much more than secondary!) was inferior to its
choice, when in fact they are both about the same. Well, except the one
that I took saved me 45 minutes!

MV content... on the way back I checked out an Army depot full of nice
Deuces, HMMWVs, some trailers of various sorts, 155s, and a Unimog 404
with snowblower (Air National Guard base as well). Funny to see the
little Mog there!

Steve