Re: [MV] Reenactors have no right!!! unless they were there

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 14:36:56 PDT

I don't agree with most of what you have said, but I feel your opinion is
important because of the subject matter. I have become interested in WW2 in
recent years, and the main reason is the fact that so many good people gave
so much to ensure we can sit here today and do what every we wish. I find
that entertainment is not a very noble thing to do with one's time. I
collect and watch movies about "war", but not to be entertained, but to try
and put myself in the place of these people that did what had to be done. I
find myself able to endure difficult circumstances when I reflect on the
conditions that many of these people had to endure.

I would not cause anyone, especially people like your father and brother,
any discomfort by driving a truck around with a green outfit on. If someone
confronts me and expresses such feelings I will apologize and try to express
to them my deep appreciation for their service. This has not yet happened.

There is one point that we all must consider about our hobby here. How does
it affect the upcoming generation. Lets face it, they're not doing very
well. I have worked the Boy Scouts and church groups for about 20 years
now, and the kids today don't have the respect for one another they should,
especially for veterans. It is opinion, OPINION being the key word, that we
must do everything we can to help them understand that freedom is not free.
They usually get everything they want. I don't think they really understand
that people have to die or take another's life for us to be "free". Last
years attacks in New York may have woke some up, but most are still asleep.
Parades, shows, and freedom celebrations can play a part in this
"awakening".

I feel intentions are what you must look at. Some people burn the flag
because they know it offends people. I don't think anyone of this list has
a MV to try and offend anyone. I'm sure some of us get a ego trip out of
it, but I think many of us know when the veterans are gone, maybe these
vehicles will be a testimony that war really does happen. Those that forget
history are doomed to repeat it. No one wants to repeat these wars.

No offence intended here. I really do appreciate what the veterans out
there have done for us all. I hope I can live my life in a manner to show
my appreciation, not just say it. I truly believe a tasteful event, even
one with re-enactors, can make some people aware of what others have did for
us. That should, in my opinion, be a part of why we collect these things.
If it's not were just a bunch of car collectors that like green.

Joe Trapp