Re: [MV] M35 W active compensator

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 09:22:07 PDT

Hello,
I think that the better we are informed, the better our chances to make the
right decision(s). Providing information about the turbocharger and the fuel
injection pump is such a case. There has been a lot of information posted on
that subject on this list during the last several weeks. Unrelated to the
exchange of ideas and experiences is an article, written by yours truly, in
the December issue of MV magazine.
Here, the procedure for installing a turbo is explained in as much detail
possible in the format of a magazine article.
In view of Joe's unfortunate "blowed engine" story, I would like to make it
clear that the reason that I installed the turbo on my previously naturally
aspirated LD-465 engine, was primarily to improve the combustion and reduce
the emission of black smoke. I live at an altitude of 3000 feet and the
engine needs all the help it can get.
The very first step in the procedure is to install a pyrometer, period.
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO MONITOR THE ENGINE. Secondly, but less important, is the
installation of a "boost" gauge, which enables you to check the performance
of the turbocharger.
I used a digital voltmeter with a thermocouple adapter to read my exhaust
gas temperature (explained in the article). By using a digital readout the
fast response of the thermocouple can be properly displayed. The temperature
can increase 50 to 100 degrees in less than a second and drop back just as
fast. These peaks cannot be observed using a standard dial instrument with a
mechanical pointer, it tends to give you an average. I say again, never
exceed 1,200 degrees F. Think about it, aluminum melts at about 1,350
degrees.
The point is that, until you get used to the "new" engine and what to do and
not to do, to keep it safe, you have to be on the alert.
The water temperature is slow in response to an overheated engine. After all
you are looking at the cooling fluid used to remove heat from hotspots and
it can only give you an average temperature at best.
Part of the article explains the fuel delivery and how to make adjustments.
That was included for the sake of completness only.
Increasing the fuel delivery will certainly produce more power, but you have
to learn where that power is available and that is at the lower rpm's (1,500
or so) not at the top. Burning additional fuel will allow you to just "step
on the gas" when you come to a hill. The result is that the rpm may drop as
you slow down but it will drop into a range where you now have a lot of
torque. You can actually feel the surge of power as opposed to shifting down
and getting the torque thru higher gear ratios.
More fuel at the high end means that you have to watch the rpm here too. It
may be easy to overrev with more fuel and no load. Another "watch it".

In may case, the result was less smoke and more torque and that was WITHOUT
changing the fuel delivery. I will probably toy with it though, but I'm
still learing.

I think this will do for now.

Bjorn