Re: [MV] 24vdc from 12vdc 6.5L turbo-diesel with airconditioning...

From: tom-nooneofconsequence (milveh@carr.org)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 09:14:14 PST

dave is quite right. probably the best way to get 24 v on a 12 v vehicle
is with the system used on the cucv's. with two separate 12 alternators,
and two batteries, the system will always be balanced no matter which
battery you load. as to just pulling 12 v from the center on a 24 v
system, yes it will work. but it WILL overcharge the upper battery and
cause the lower battery to have a lower charge. how long will this last
until you notice a problem? maybe a year or more as in my case since
this is what i do for a clock and egt. if you routinely charge the
batteries separately then you will probably never notice a problem.
there is a device who's name eludes me right now that attaches across
both batteries and allows you to pull very high current loads from 12 v
without unbalancing the charging, but they are very expensive.
tom