Re: [MV] The metric system in America

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 13:24:02 PDT

At 3:40 PM -0400 4/25/03, Fred Martin wrote:
>Ryan...thats fine if someone wants a Brit car or a French car (I
>think they have a system called Lowenhurst(sp)in France) and if you
>get out the machinists handbook and look, there are other systems.
>Some of the engine lathes of today will cut SAE, metric and a system
>called modular...I don't know about this system... But we are

Whitworth is inherently stronger as it has better stress curves on
the threads compared to SAE. Its curved across the roots and crests
of the threads. Both BSF and BSW have a 55 degree pitch (UNF and SAE
don't!).

I don't really see how different thread rates make things hard. There
are short and long tons still now. People still sell wood by the
cord, wheat by the bushel, Nautical speeds are still Knots (not KPH)
and most things are still measured with ounces, pounds and tons.

Metric isn't inherently better in any respect as far as measurements
go excepting for the ability to do easier math (is that a bonus or
does it promote dumb-ing down?).

Perhaps I have to think in so many modes (there's also BA/British
Association for small machine screws) that I don't see the difficulty
in also thinking in metric when I'm working on my Honda's (3 Hondas,
1 Subaru, 1 Chevy, 2 Daimlers, and a shared Humber).

To me, all it really means is that I need more tools...

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -