Re: [MV] Proper use for a Hummer

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 05:13:30 PDT

Regarding the response of the local press....

Since I live in Tempe, Arizona, I was able to catch this story as it first
ran on the news. To my surprise, the first on-the-scene reports included
the requisite pretty young female reporter laughing and giggling when the
anchor at the station asked her what shape the "humvee" was in after the
accident. Her response was, "I don't see anything wrong with it at all."

As the story developed, it turns out that all four people in the car were
helped out of the car by helpful by standers, but then they all four fled.
Police later caught them, so it is likely that the two who are in 'critical
condition' were not so critical that they couldn't flee the scene. The
hummer driver says he never meant to crash into them, but only wanted to
follow them so they wouldn't get away. He hoped to attract the attention of
the police so they would immediately catch the thieves so they would not be
able to put a gun in somebody elses face (like they did to him).

As an epilogue, I doubt the driver will face any charges, especially since
the local district attorney is too busy trying to figure out what to do with
the local catholic bishop who killed someone in his car and fled the scene.
The biggest problem may be that during the chase, both vehicles caused
extensive damage all along the route, including destroying bus stops,
newspaper vending machines, and lots of other things - but fortunately, no
bystanders.

I'll see if I can't find a better picture on one of the local news websites
for Phoenix...

Nathan Wilkens