Re: [MV] Dot 3 or Dot 5

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 15:10:32 PDT

Kirk,
Don't worry! The two fluids will not mix, but form layers within the system
where they contact each other. The truck was designed prior to the
introduction of silicone based brake fluid (DOT 5).
With Dot 3 in the system any water that may enter will mix with the DOT 3
and probably help prevent corosion of parts otherwise exposed to pure water
like in a DOT 5 system, where water sinks to to the bottom.
I have DOT 3 in my truck and am perfectly happy with it, although it does
remove any paint that it contacts during a spill or leak. It is also a lot
cheaper and easier to find in an emergency...
Read about DOT 3 and DOT 5 brake fluids in David Doyle's article, MVM Feb,
2003.
Bjorn