Re: [MV] Are auction vehicles generallydrivable?

From: Kirk Thompson (mosen_temp@mosen.net)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 11:26:46 PDT

Hi all.

I "won" my M35A2 from a GL auction last November
(http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=120160), waited until
March for the EUC and went out to CA to get the truck.

This was my first MV/GL auction and I probably will not do what I did
again: Bid on a vehicle I had not even personally inspected. I won the lot
"sight un-seen" and had no idea what I was getting into.

I was very lucky. We had a punctured radiator, messed up front driveshaft,
dead batterys, flat tire, and a disconnected master cylinder. After we got
these items fixed, we took 4 days to drive the truck from Vandenberg CA to
my home in Jemez NM.

After I got it here, we discovered a bad inner seal on front axle and bad
outer seals on the forward-rear axle. Now I am having trouble with one of
those (left) that just won't seal. We'll get it figured out....

But.. the thing runs like a raped-ape and there are no major problems!

It was a great adventure but I am a little wiser now. Like I said, I was
lucky. Most of the vehicles at that DRMO lot were just trashed.

In the future, I will still bid at these auctions but only after I go and
"visit" the candidate. I picked up my deuce for $2,200 + 10% + tax which
ran me about $2,700 but I think it is a great deal considering what I have.
This is the most fun I've had since high school!

Here is the URL to a web page that I have created that details the trip:
<http://www.mosen.net/m35a2/ca%20deuce%20trip.htm>.

-K