Re: [MV] M884 Shelter Carrier Towing cap.

From: Cliff Smith (mtnbikinssgt@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 13:23:34 PDT

Okay Gents and Ladies;

It's time for me to throw my 1/2 of a cent in on this one, (as I think its gone a little too
far, too long) about towing.

The last post about towing a S10 and another truck back and forth from KC is what its all about, COMMON SENSE!  When I traded my Mutt for a Mule (few months ago, you may remember the post) I used my '3 Nissan Crew Cab with Auto tranny (rated at a mere 5000#'s) to do it.  Remember now Im using a trailer that weighed in at 1500#'s! The Mutt was weighing in at almost 3000#'s as is set, with ROPS.  No problems.  Towed back a Mule that weighed in at less than 1000#'s easy.  Towing the Mutt I did go easy and with the ole common sense thing in my head, and 2 kids screaming in my ear the entire 4 hours one way!  No problem.

Couple of weeks later I towed another Mutt up and a M880 back 2 hours!  You ask what a M880 weighs in at?  about 4800#'s (someone correct me if Im wrong).  Easy stuff when you take your time and be cautious.  USE COMMON SENSE.

But my point is about the Military, I can say this Cause Im still in (SSgt in the Corps), Doesnt matter what the truck is RATED for.  "Gunny said put all this stuff in" So be it!  ALL THE STUFF GOES IN.  Unless you really overload a truck (thats the point of not moving or axles breaking), you will have no problems  Its made to handle just about anything that is not "Damn thats just too big" for that truck.

Take your time, be Cautious, make that big gap in front of you for braking, watch your gauges and all will be OK!  Okay a little more than 1/2 cent!

"if it has a hitch is was meant to tow!"

Cliff Smith
'?? M35A2
'77 M880
'68 M274A5