Re: [MV] Virus warning for list, sorry

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 10:22:53 PDT

Jim is right. The list does not propagate attachments. However, I think the point was that the virus came from a list member, not necessarily the list, itself.

One issue with this virus is that you cannot trust that the "From" email address is accurate. The virus is sending itself out to email addresses that it finds on your system, but it does not always (if ever) send your identity as the sender. I have received 14 copies of this virus (with varying subjects) in the last 1-2 hours. I have also received 2 messages from automated mail server administrators that told me I was sending the virus. Rest assured, I am not. However, the same virus that sent me 14 copies so far (from the same physical server), is also, apparently, using my address as the "From" for copies it sends elsewhere. That prompts the automated postmasters to send me a message telling me I have a virus, which I get.

It's hard to say who really sent me the 14 files without more investigation, but I know it's not who it says in the "From" line of each one....

MV Content:
    Does anyone have a lead on an A/C compressor and lines for an M1010?

    Thanks,
        Neil