Re: [MV] Studebaker deuce ring and pinion gearsets?

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 20:48:10 PDT

Tim,
Is there apossibility that the ring and pinion was manufactured by a
contractor ( spicer? for example )? I would suggesty trying to located a
HEAVY-duty shop that specializes (? spl ) in severe duty gearboxes.

Where are you located? Here in Fort Worth, Texas I use Fort Worth Gear
and Axle. They did a comlete re-seal on a xfr case and transmission for
my '45 GMC DUKW and actually found the correct seals. They can even
supply NEW axles for the WW11 duece and half GMC.

 But, be advised!! Work by these shops is not cheap! That being said,
when I called FWG&A they told me they were not familiar with these gear
boxes. When I showed up with them , they took one look, called the shop
chief outside. To quote " Oh! That's what you got! Be ready in 2 Weeks.
I'll call when to come pick 'em up". He called in 6 working days.

So, I guess what I'm trying to suggest is - pull one differential and
spend some phone and road time and I bet you can find a shop to rebuild
them.

Didn't mean to get so long-winded. If you can't find a shop, let me know
off-list and I'll check with FWG&A. Maybe they could be shipped here and
back as a last resort. I am only a customer of theirs. No other
affiliation.

Good Luck and keep the list updated on your progress. The US6 is a neat
truck.

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Vietnam 1966
'45 GMC 353 DUKW