Re: [MV] Abrams Tank Disabled by Mystery Round

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 22:30:02 PST

Gene,

>Why..?? This is old crap...WE--the US, have had this type round since the
>70's. We--the US NAVY -- tested the crap on old Camp Elliott in San
>Diego..Big deal..no secret at all...old stuff..but new to the OPFOR...at
>least new to the NEWS..!! Gene

What hit the Abrams has not been verified and came as a surprise to our
forces. I'm therefore puzzled why you are so sure you know what it was.
 Plus, that doesn't change anything... the pics were classified and they
were leaked. Classified is classified even if it doesn't make sense to
the individual for such a designation.

Doc Bryant,

>Although its probably bad form for those pictures to be reproduced, you have
>to assume the bad guys already know the item works as advertised.

Don't be so sure. Perhaps, but there is a good chance they do not for
one of two reasons:

1. They never tested the system on a real Abrams. Until a weapon has
been tested against the real thing, all bets are off.

2. The weapon wasn't thought to be effective but the gunner got a lucky
hit and found something that wasn't planned on.

Both of these things are issues that have cropped up in previous wars and
times of peace. Never assume that the enemy knows what they are doing
and give them intel they didn't have on a silver platter.

Steve