Re: [MV] Electrical problem with M1008 CUCV..

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 08:54:28 PST

Hi Henry,
    Here are my suggestions:
1-Clean and resecure battery cables/posts You can get a little wire brush kit
that is
designed to do this. ie inside and out of cable/post.
2-Remove, wire brush, and resecure the various ground cables between
batteries,
engine, frame, etc.
3-Remove, wirebrush/clean, and resecure the Red cables comming from your
batterie system and ends up going to the fuse block thru the connector on the
firewall. There are a couple of places along that route due to the glow
plugs, starting, etc.

If after all that, you still have a problem, then do the following:

1-There is a fusible link in that system in #3 above. Find it and then
masage the wire, and tug on it just to be sure it hasn't partially melted at
one
point and is just being kept in contact by the insulation around it. This is
unlikely, but then....
2-Using a small spin tight, remove the bulk head connector that connects
thru the firewall to the fuse block, and inspect for any damage. There should
be some grease of some kind on the contacts. Not quite sure what it is
though,
but it should be there. I suspect it is just to keep the contacts from
oxidizing and
make the connection go on smoothly.
3-Check the fuse that corresponds to the main power feed from #3 above.
I would swap it out or exchange it with an equal valued fuse from another
circuit..

That is all I can think of for now, good luck!

Bruce MVPA 23824