Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

From: L51940@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 20:51:22 PST

I view the differences between "authentic looking" military vehicles and top-notch restorations with mixed feelings. Part of me would love a truck that is perfect. The problem, in my mind, is that to achieve show car standards you end up with a vehicle that is not "authentic". In this hobby we collect and love combat vehicles, trucks that in real life are abused, driven thru the worst conditions, not washed, camo painted with brushes, stenciled-up all over the place and sometimes shot-up.

Joe Young once showed me a military paint job on a tire and rim. Someone made up a nice square template to paint it. Another friend of mine who works for Tacom and was once involved with the M35 program said that they had to visit the factory in an effort to try them to paint the tires less and the trucks more.

I am not dissing the 100 point restoration crowd but I do have a problem with keeping someone out of a function due to his or her vehicle not being "non authentic".

Dave McConnell