Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 21:51:08 PST

Dave,
I tend to agree with you. It's wonderful to see a " museum quality
restoration " but would a person be willing to expose that vehicle to
inclement weather for a parade or rally? Or risk possible damage while
driving from "road hazards" or an accident? Personally, I would not.
My M35A2 is mechanicly(?) excellent. Not one failure in 2 years and 11
months of frequent use!! I intend to begin refurb'ing the cosmetics over
this winter. The military paint is chipping off in large pieces that are
almost measurably thick. The truck has been at least 5 different color
schemes, so just as a personal thing I am going to remove the old and
apply new paint. That will not make it a masterpiece but will make it
more presentable up close.
Now to the point. The truck looks like a combat veteran and will still
look prettty much that way after repainting. I have it licensed and
insured and we take it to Walmart, go grocery shopping and I load my
tools and drive it to work once in a while. I've even been known to
drive it to church a couple of times.
Why? To promote my hobby to the public, most of whom don't even know our
hobby exists! AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN TURNED AWAY FROM AN EVENT but,I don't
try to impose on events not appropriate to the VIETNAM era. WW11 events
are just that-- WW11! But, if the event is for all periods I certainly
try to participate if I can. Frequently my truck and a M151A2 that
belongs to a friend are the only VIETNAM era vehicles there.
I see no problem with restrictions as to historical time periods as long
as that requiremnet is made clear up front, then I know my truck doesn't
fit the program, I don't "farb" the event, leave "DUECE'S WILD" at home
and go look at what's there.
Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book here.
MY $ .02,

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Vietnam 1966
'45 GMC 353 DUKW
'66 M35A2 w/w
'68 M105A1

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:51:22 -0500 L51940@aol.com writes:
> I view the differences between "authentic looking" military vehicles
> and top-notch restorations with mixed feelings. Part of me would
> love a truck that is perfect. The problem, in my mind, is that to
> achieve show car standards you end up with a vehicle that is not
> "authentic". In this hobby we collect and love combat vehicles,
> trucks that in real life are abused, driven thru the worst
> conditions, not washed, camo painted with brushes, stenciled-up all
> over the place and sometimes shot-up.
>
> Joe Young once showed me a military paint job on a tire and rim.
> Someone made up a nice square template to paint it. Another friend
> of mine who works for Tacom and was once involved with the M35
> program said that they had to visit the factory in an effort to try
> them to paint the tires less and the trucks more.
>
> I am not dissing the 100 point restoration crowd but I do have a
> problem with keeping someone out of a function due to his or her
> vehicle not being "non authentic".
>
> Dave McConnell

> <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)