Re: [MV] [MV]

From: Glenn McCalley (glenn@combatcatering.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 04:23:26 PST

> All these surge brake posts have me wondering how
> the average DOT or State Patrol dude thinks of

... and I think "the average DOT or State Police dude" has very little
idea -- and that's a huge part of the problem. They just have no clue. In
the short time I've had my MV... oh well. Useless rant. Anyway...

Thanks, not flames, to Bill for looking up MD law. It just seems MD
officials don't know MD law and I suspect we are not the only state with
that problem. Case in point: I got so many wildly different stories as to
whether I could commercially tag a deuce for business use that I decided to
tag it historic so I could at least drive it around while I figured out what
is truly what.

When I went to motor vehicles for historic tags the "information" desk
person I spoke with said can't do that - can't get historic tags for
anything over 1 ton. I pointed out that the antique fire engine guys do it
somehow, and she sniffed and invited me to waste my time if I wanted with
the Title Dept. supervisor but there was no way I would get historic tags
for an 18,000# truck. The title dept. supervisor said no problem, you can
put historic tags on anything that moves and some things that can't move.
Got the tags, paid my money, and left. Resisted showing the tags to the
"information" desk lady on my way out. No point.

Education is the answer (assuming the people involved are educable I
suppose).

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a reference source for "THIS is how you get
it done in <picka> state for your MV". MVPA have anything like that anyone
know?

Glenn.