Re: [MV] cucv fuel problem

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 21:51:04 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "cmpdbase" <cmpdbase@telusplanet.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 8:10 PM
Subject: [MV] cucv fuel problem

> My next step is to disconnect the line from the fuel pump to the
> injector to make sure there is fuel going to the pump.

You're probably just going to have to wind it for a bit until the
gasoline-contaminated stuff is purged from the injector pump and injector
lines. Your filter will need to be changed too, I think.

> As well, a f riend of mine said to check the glowplugs. If only one
> glowplug is working, the indicator light on the dash will light up, but
> you may have seven dead glowplugs. So, I will replace these as well
> after doing a continuity test on them.

Just do the continuity test. I usually get 1.1-1.8 ohms on them with my own
meter - but I should hate to hold that particular meter up as any paragon of
accuracy. Either way, "Open" = "Garbage Can". No other choices.

> Besides the inevitable, a ruined injector pump, any other suggestions?
> Ian Cooper

I don't think you would've broiled the injector pump. You can undo the top
of the injector pump and remove all the contaminated dieselgas with a
syringe or some similar device, then refill it with fresh diesel before
screwing it back down. Saves a bit of winding. Whenever we've had any fuel
problems with any of ours, they always seem to sort themselves out but only
after a *godawful* amount of winding and winding and winding. Those
starters really hate that, but...I can't see too many other solutions once
you've introduced air or some sort of contaminant (water was the last one in
our own CUCV headache.) To help bleed, we've also pressurized our diesel
tanks with something really gentle by way of air pressure, then put 12 V on
both solenoids on the injector pump, and removed the Cold Advance Valve hose
until it bled good diesel. Works great. Yours is still probably trying to
inject almostdiesel one tiny spurt at a time and just not making much
headway. That's where the winding and winding and winding and winding comes
into play. Unfortunately.

If it's not completely contrary to local ordinances, I would go and spank
the individual responsible for contaminating the diesel - and not gently.
Maybe he'd like to contribute a few bucks to the CUCV Collector/Purger Beer
Fund and avoid the appropriate beating - but such depends largely on the
individual ;)