Re: [MV] cucv fuel problem

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 06:42:54 PST

>1991 Ford diesel pickup ran 7 miles from station on gasoline and needed a
>new fuel injection pump. The station paid for the repairs. I have heard of
>others who were able to drain the gas, refuel and were ok. One of those
>"others" ran about 400 miles and then need a fuel injection pump which the
>station did not pay for.

I got a load of gas (on a near empty tank) out of the diesel pump in my 82
Toyota diesel pickup. Ran over 400 miles that night, did not run right, low
power, but it was like 10 below zero that night, figured I had a plugged
filter, put in de-icer and kept going. Next morning decided to drain some
out of the seperator to see if there was any water, what came out wasn't
yellow, smelled it and it was gas. With tank now near empty again I drove
over to different gas station and refilled, still ran funny on the way over.
Within a mile or two on the way back it cleared up. Ran fine ever since and
that was over 200k miles ago. Given what I have heard over the years I
guess I was lucky I didn't destroy the pump, either that or those
Nippondenso pumps are a shade better then the average.

Funny thing, within the week that station pulled out thier diesel pumps
permanently.

good luck,

je