Re: [MV] M35 ? of the day. Stuff a pencil in it (Ether)

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 15:49:27 PST

You can't use it on a glow plug system because when the ether comes into
contact with a working glowplug, the plug will swell and superheat. Then
you have to try and get it out with an extractor, or..worse. Unfun. I've
disabled the glowplugs on 6.2s and done the ether start before, but
excruciatingly sparingly - just the tiniest whiff - or you can snap conrods
and stuff.

The argument against either and starting fluids (or so I've always heard) is
that they strip the lubrication away from your upper cylinders, so you're
starting with your cylinder walls 'dry'. Personally, I always thought you'd
have to use an awful lot of ether for anything like that to take place, but
then again, I've not seen an engine torn down after years and years of ether
starts to be able to judge effectively.

If I'm looking at the hookup correctly, the Cummins NHC250's as fitted to
the M939 trucks have a built-in ether start which is a godsend, as the same
sort of Cumminseseseses in our 813s and 816s take *forever* to wind up from
cold. As to the M44 series trucks, I have an M109 at work right now which
had an ether bottle fitted by the military, and roughly the same description
as yours. Same with our U.S. Navy International Emeryville.