Re: [MV] M35 ? of the day. Stuff a pencil in it (Ether)

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 21:47:46 PST

At 06:49 PM 12/18/2003, chance wolf wrote:

> [...]

Correct!

>The argument against either and starting fluids (or so I've always heard) is
>that they strip the lubrication away from your upper cylinders, so you're
>starting with your cylinder walls 'dry'. Personally, I always thought you'd
>have to use an awful lot of ether for anything like that to take place, but
>then again, I've not seen an engine torn down after years and years of ether
>starts to be able to judge effectively.

Correct. I've seen them after repeated ether starts by using TOO much
ether. Not pretty. They can be started safely by using the correct amount
of ether to start an engine. This is why the Military installs ether bottle
systems on a lot of it's trucks. Read below to find out how to properly use em.

>If I'm looking at the hookup correctly, the Cummins NHC250's as fitted to
>the M939 trucks have a built-in ether start which is a godsend, as the same
>sort of Cumminseseseses in our 813s and 816s take *forever* to wind up from
>cold. As to the M44 series trucks, I have an M109 at work right now which
>had an ether bottle fitted by the military, and roughly the same description
>as yours. Same with our U.S. Navy International Emeryville.

The ether start system you describe inject a pre measured amount of ether
into the intake manifold.

OK GUYS. Class is in session.

The proper way to use ether be it a bottle system mounted on the firewall
mechanical or electrical system mounted under hood or a can of ether in
your hand is A LITTLE SNIFF GOES A LOOOOOOOOOOONG WAY. THAT'S RIGHT A
SNIFF!!!!!!

         To use a hand held can of starting ether you must have someone
cranking engine over BEFORE you sniff the air cleaner..remember a sniff is
quick aka a sharp intake through your nose as an example. That is how quick
you want to make the "SNIFF" to the air cleaner intake. Look at the nozzle
on the can to be sure you are pointing at the air cleaner air intake and
not the person next to you or yourself. After the driver starts cranking
the engine go SNIFF to the air cleaner air intake and WAIT for the engine
to suck in the explosive mixture to the engine..this could and usually does
take 5 or 6 seconds before you hear the engine start to take off as the
ether ignites.

         The bottle mounted system uses two distinct ways of injecting the
ether into the intake manifold. The mechanical system looks identical to
the electrical system, you have to look at the upside down bottle mounted
in the injector rack to identify which one your truck is equipped with. If
you see a cable going to the control valve the bottle of ether is screwed
into it operates like this. Tranny in neutral step onto and hold down
clutch, engage starter to crank over engine pull ether start handle out and
hold it there for a least 5 seconds, while engine continues to crank on
starter push ether system handle in ( this is the point of actual ether
injection) engine should begin to burble to life with lots of white/blue
smoke....this is normal feed it some throttle to help it stay running until
engine combustion chambers are warm enough to fire fuel injected at idle.
         The Electrical system starting procedure is identical to the
mechanical with one minor change, there should be a red covered electrical
switch on the dash labeled ether start system, it may be a push button
instead of a switch. While cranking engine over as with the mechanical
system turn ether switch on/push and hold push button for five seconds then
release push button/throw switch off to inject ether into engine.

DO NOT INJECT THE ETHER WHEN THE ENGINE IS NOT CRANKING AS YOU WILL SET THE
ENGINE UP FOR MAJOR DAMAGE IE: BENT CONNECTING RODS BROKEN CRANKSHAFT BLOW
HEAD GASKETS ETC.

And remember last but not least DON'T RUN ENGINE OVER 1,000 RPM'S UNTIL
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE HAS STABILIZED AND ENGINE HAS HAD A CHANCE TO WARM UP
SOME. It will extend the life of the engine if you do this.

         DON'T use ether on CUCV trucks. They use glow plugs and you will
not like what they do to em. (See way above at beginning)

Jim

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103