Re: [MV] Re-gear M1008

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 07:58:12 PST

Some companies make 4 series gears that can be used on a 3 series carrier. The ring gear is very thick on them. Alternately, you can buy aftermarket ring gear spacers for that application (4 series gears on a 3 series carrier).

However, to get 3 series gears to work on a 4 series carrier, you would have to either a) machine off some of the ring gear mounting surface of the carrier (if there was even enough material to machine off - it's not necessarily just the thickness of the flange...), or b) machine the mounting face of the gears, which will decrease the depth of the bolt holes, etc.... I don't think I'd want to go either route.

Finding a set of 3.73 geared 1-ton axles in a boneyard would be preferable, but good luck with that search. They are rare.