Re: [MV] trailer brakes

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 21:25:31 PST

In the 40's & 50's air parking brakes on tractor trailer were strictly air
operated. You moved a lever or pulled an air valve in the cab of the truck
to set the parking brake on the trailer, when the air pressure was "lost"
on the emergency line, it feeds the air tanks on the trailer to provide
compressed air for the service brakes and provides an air supply to apply
the service brakes in a "parking brake function" when the driver shut off
the trailer air supply which set the brakes be they C type which is
commonly used today on trucks or the air over hydraulic type used on
Military trucks. For this reason the mechanics and drivers tried to keep
the air system on the trailers air tight IE: no leaks. Use an old WIndex
sprayer filled with a couple of drops of dish washing liquid and water and
spray over your aired up air lines fittings and valves and air leaks will
show up as soapy bubbles. Fix the air leaks on your trailer equipped with
the proper "{parking" brakes and it will providing the master cylinder is
good last for weeks. Not the truck you had chock blocks for the tractor. If
the air pressure in the air tanks mounted on the trailer bled off your
"parking" brake on the trailer was lost. Eventually the trucking industry
got around to Maxicans which require around 30 to 40 PSI of air to release
the spring that was holding the brakes on.
         Retrofit your M-105A2 trailers with the older "air brake system"
not spring applied and you will like it but don't forget to chock those
wheels parking brake or not.

Jim

At 11:03 PM 12/24/2003, TacticalTruck@aol.com wrote:
>It just means you have one of the few fully operational M105s around and it's
>able to hold air pressure for an extended period of time. It sounds to me
>like your trailer was still aired up and it was in break away mode.
>Jeff
>
>In a message dated 12/24/03 10:59:04 PM, cwkealey@charter.net writes:
>
><< I mistakenly forgot to hook up the air hoses between my M35A2 and M105A2
>this past summer. I did disengage the hand brakes as I was supposed to,
>just forgot the hoses. I wound up dragging two locked up tires across the
>yard until I looked in the mirror and saw that the wheels were not turning. >>

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103
1984 H-D FLHT-C