Re: [MV] M-1009 Light Question

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 22:23:35 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Kirkley" <mojoedd@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 8:27 PM
Subject: [MV] M-1009 Light Question

> Thanks to all who answered my question on where to get a new speedometer
for
> my M-1009, this list is the best! Jay at Saturn Surplus came through very
> fast and with a good price too!
>
> Another question, I got an NOS speedometer sealed in the box. The one
> that's in my truck is missing any kind of "filter" or lens for the two
holes
> in the upper part that light up to indicate that the high beams are on.
The
> new one came without any kind of "filter" or lens. What goes there to dim
> the two VERY bright white lights that come on with the high beams? There
> has to be something. Can anyone tell me what it is and most importantly
> where I can get one, (or two as the case may be)?

It's a little piece of blue plastic that installs in the dash pack over the
aperture for the "very bright white lights". One of the 1009's at work has
the same problem, and I *think* it's because whoever replaced the speedo or
fuel guage in the Military didn't watch what he was doing when he
disassembled the unit (and later reassembled it - sans the piece of blue
plastic which doubtless fell on the ground to be carried off by rodents.)

I have a GM Part No. for you as follows:

"FILTER, Hi Beam: 6497475"

The Canadian Army very sensibly had real GM Parts books for the CUCVs (with
a pic of a 1008 on the front cover too), so naturally when the vehicles went
out of our system and the binrats were pitching everything - people were
around to catch it :) Pretty much every part number I've pulled from this
parts book has proven either valid as-is, or crosses to something newer. I
don't think I've had a "Sorry - it's obsolete" yet.