Re: [MV] A whole mess of questions

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 22:42:47 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <frey2@eng.usf.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 9:37 PM
Subject: [MV] A whole mess of questions

> Single wheeled, troop carrier.

Singles? Right out of military service? Never seen that on an M35A2 bought
through GL. Learn somethin' new every day.

> 1. Is the 465 the displacement of the engine?

 It actually works out to be 478 cu in., from what I remember. The 427
which came before it was a 427 c.i.d. engine though.

> 2. What was the strength of teh most commonly issued winch? or how could i
> identify what i have?

I think they only used the one type for deuces - based on the one I've
seen - but I'm no expert. This list has a few.

> 4. I have seen a picture of somebody towing a duece with a 1 ton chevy
pickup,
> how can this be done safely?

I've not seen that picture and probably would've laughed if I had. Probably
works fine on a runway, but the first gentle downward hill you come to would
tend to make you road pizza. Maybe there's some magic to it all that the
Gods of Physics aren't letting me in on.

> 5. How resistant to tearing are the canvas cab and bed tops to limbs and
branches?

Brand new ones are fairly resilient to that sort of stuff, but add a few
years exposure to the sun and rain and you can put your finger through them
without even trying.

> 6. What were the large electrical sockets on the side of the cab for?

Jump-starting or "slaving" the vehicle. Most of the deuces have the older
style that accepts two pins, where some have the newer style which just
accepts a large single center conductor ("NATO" style - compatible with the
newer stuff like HMMWVs and CUCVs.) I've even seen some vehicles which have
both, but usually M816 Wreckers and MRT type vehicles mainly tasked with the
recovery of other vehicles. It's an old idea which is why the vehicles from
Jeeps to Deuces and back were standardized 24V. A running Jeep could pull
up next to a dead M113 APC or M48 tank and slave-start (jumpstart) it
because both would have the same plugs mounted on the outside of the vehicle
hooked up to the batteries, and with the appropriate cable you simply
connect the two together ("slave cable".) I keep a big NATO one with the
two-pin adapters in the back of my CUCV M1009 Blazer to jumpstart stuff at
work and on film sets. Sure saves a lot of hassle with those cheesy-ass 14
ga. NAPA jumper cables everyone 'helpful' seems to keep under the back seat.
You couldn't jumpstart a flashlight.

> 8. What batteries can I use to replace the original ones? they only last
about a
> day now.

6TN or 6TL types I think you can still buy from NAPA and the like. I
believe Exide, Deka and Interstate still make them. Failing that, I have a
few deuces and 5T's at work that use Group 31 batteries like the later CUCVs
have, and I've had no problems in all sorts of weather. Interstate makes a
good Group 31, and I think they come in around ~USD 60.00.