Re: [MV] Humvee Height

From: ke6myk@sbcglobal.net
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 01:51:18 PST

Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I'd suspect that the shelter weights a good bit more than your
> slantback and ring mount. If you can try to figure the weight of the
> slantback metal and fittings. I'd doubt based on size alone that it's
> close to a third of the weight.

According to the dataplate on my AN/GRC-122B set (a radio teletype set
mounted in an S-250/G shelter), the shelter weight is 1,998 pounds. I
don't know how much the slant-back hard top weighs, but I'd expect it
to be a lot less than a ton.

I'm just about done converting my HMMWV from an M998 cargo truck to an
M1037 shelter carrier, including replacing the rear suspension
components with the heavy-duty variants used in the M1037. Here are
some pictures and details for anybody who's interested:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck2/mods.html#shelter

Let's see, I still need to readjust the wheel alignment, properly
install the shelter's DC power cable, install the panels which close
off the rear footwells, order the rear bumper brackets and mount the
rear bumper. Oh, yeah, I'll need to install a 100A alternator if I
want to run the radios off the vehicle's power system, too. Hmm, I
guess I'll also need to re-locate the backup lights and license plate
bracket when I install the rear bumper. Even with all of that left on
the to-do list, I've still done most of the work already. The hardest
part of the upgrade was changing out the rear suspension, and the rest
was not too hard (having a 5-ton wrecker to lift the shelter into
place helped! :-)

I can easily believe that it's not a good idea to drive the truck much
in this configuration without the shelter installed or at least a
bunch of cargo in the rear. I was under the (possibly mistaken)
impression that the purpose of the turn-buckle kit was just to reduce
the vehicle height a bit. Now that this thread has come up, I guess it
makes more sense that it's there to keep the suspension a bit more
compressed without the shelter in place (although the shocks will
limit the lower control arm travel, anyway, just like they do in the
"light" suspension). I woudn't think it would be a good idea to drive
the truck with the turn-buckle kit in place (aside from low-speed
motor pool maneuvering), because they'd be prone to fly off if the
truck went over a big bump or something. I guess it's time for me to
hit the manuals and review the details of the turn-buckle kit.

By the way, I don't have the turn-buckle kit for my truck yet, and it
sounds like it's something I should have on hand if I need to pull off
the shelter for some reason. Does anybody have a servicable
turn-buckle kit they would like to part with?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/