Re: [MV] Humvee Height

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 08:54:24 PST

At 11:04 AM -0500 2/9/04, Baker, George R. - Eastman wrote:
>I started with a shelter carrier chassis to build my Slantback on and I
>know that it is not recommended that you drive the SC unloaded because
>of the sharp angle of the halfshafts. My question is this; will the
>added weight of the Slantback top (mine has the steel turret hatch)
>offset the load of the shelter? Can some of you guys out there with
>Humvees equipped with radials give me the measurement from the ground to
>the center of the rear fender well (tire opening) so I can compare it to
>mine. I have looked at several pictures of different Humvee
>configurations and mine seems no taller than most and even shorter than
>others.

I was just looking at the TM for the S250 shelter and it had a
section on how the HMWWV's with the shelter carrier had a set of
hooks that kept the suspension compressed if the shelter were removed
for some kind of service. The TM did caution against driving it much
with out.

I'd suspect that the shelter weights a good bit more than your
slantback and ring mount. If you can try to figure the weight of the
slantback metal and fittings. I'd doubt based on size alone that it's
close to a third of the weight.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -