Re: [MV] CTIS question and driver instruction

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2004 - 13:21:40 PST

Thanks, Ron for giving us some numbers as to the time it takes to
deflate/inflate tires with the CTIS !
I may be wrong, but based on the following calculations, it would take one
heck of a compressor to inflate six tires from say 15 to 60 psi in 20
seconds.

The 1100x20 tire has an approx volume of 5 cubic feet.
At 60 psi (4x atmosphere) the amount of air in each tire is about 20 cubic
feet.
To go from 15 to 60 psi means pumping 15 cubic feet of air into each tire.

Now, 6 x 15 = 90 cubic feet of air, total for all tires.

The compressor on the old deuce puts out 7 cubic feet of air per minute at
about 1,200 rpm and it would take almost 13 minutes to accomplish the task
with it.

To do the same in 20 seconds would require a compressor that can output 270
cubic feet per minute, which sounds like an awful lot to me.

Are the numbers mentioned by Ron accurate or are we talking minutes not
seconds?

Perhaps my numbers are all wrong, any comments?

More input, please.

Bjorn
Meadows of Dan, Virginia

Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium
Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/