Re: [MV] The Soviet/Russian MB650 . . . LABS (Lies And Bull Sh!t)

From: Stuart & Jane Robinson (stalwart@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 16:40:19 PDT

On May 17, 2004, at 8:14 PM, Richard Eames wrote:

> Sorry! Guys! If you had truly done your homework, you would know that
> the
> "kit bikes" on Ebay, although built by the same factory, cannot even be
> compared with each other.

Some yes, some no. I've seen NEW Dneprs offered here locally by
several individuals and companies alike for the past 10 years. I have
looked at a number of them, IN PERSON, and found the fit and finish to
be third rate at best. The engines are a POOR copy of a 1930's BMW and
I have spoken with several owners that were NOT impressed with their
reliability let alone their DISMAL performance.

> These bikes were built during the Soviet Era, for the military, and the
> inspection process during their manufacture would rival or surpass any
> automobile or motorcycle manufacturer quality of that day or any other
> day.

Said like a true "snake oil" salesman! That's quite a statement but I
still firmly believe it is utter rubbish, Soviet manufacturing was
NEVER up to western standards.

> They will come with a "Certificate of Authenticity of
> Soviet Manufacture" signed by the country's Minister of Defense, the
> Attending General, and the World's Leading Expert on Soviet and Russian
> motorcycles, Mike Weaver.

That and two bucks MIGHT get you a gallon of gas.

> They will also come with a one year parts warranty
> on a 30 year old/new motorcycle. We will also supply a non-functioning
> Soviet/Russian Model DP (DEGTYAREV) dummy LMG.

Gosh, that is worth the extra $8000.00 then . . .

Save your money guys (I'm SURE none of you are serious anyway) purchase
a WLA or somethin' similar and you'll have a REAL military bike that
will go UP in value instead being worth only couple of grand (less?),
days or weeks down the road.

> If you think that I am trying to rip off the general public, at least
> be
> able to back up your accusation.

I do believe you are asking a LOT for a VERY LITTLE product, are you
entitled to ask what you want? Absolutely, and if you can find someone
to pay $12,500 (let alone the ABSURD $25,000) more power to you. We
military vehicle collectors are on the most part . . . UM . . . ER . .
. "frugal" but you MIGHT find some interest here. :^P

I'm merely offering my opinion of what I have seen with my own eyes. I
considered a new one once at $6000.00 completely assembled and licensed
but I quickly got over it upon closer inspection. That was 10 years
ago, I doubt they have gotten any better with age.

S.