Re: [MV] M880 erratic idle

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 10:46:58 PDT

I second B-man's recommendation on the worn timing chain/gearset as a
possible cause.

I seem to remember a general rule of thumb spec being a max of 7? degrees of
crankshaft rotation without distributor movement, but cannot remember
exactly. Same idea, different method of measurement.

>From: "Brian Redick" <B-Man@wesnet.com>
>Subject: Re: [MV] M880 erratic idle
>Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:36:00 -0400
>
>Your problem is most likely a worn out timing chain and gearset. It is
>recommended that if the original gear and chain is still installed, that it
>be changed at 70,000 due to excessive wear. If the timing chain is sloppy
>enough it will cause your timing mark to move all over the place at idle.
>
>One easy way to test for excessive slop in the chain and gearset is to pop
>off the distributor cap, exposing the rotor button. Place a long breaker
>bar and appropriate sized socket on the crank balancer bolt in lower
>pulley.
>Move the crankshaft back and forth in small increments until the rotor
>button begins to turn. Take notice of how much rotation is necessary to
>begin moving the rotor button. If the crank pulley rotates more than 1/8
>1/4" inch it will cause your valve timing and ignition timing to move
>around.
>
>I have had many many Mopar vehicles over the years and none of them had
>ever
>had a worn out distributor, so I doubt the distributor is the problem. My
>M882 is a 1976 with 86,000 miles and absolutely nothing had been replaced
>on
>the engine with exception of a new carb and new heater hoses and belts.
>Needless to say, my timing chain and gear needs replaced as well!!!
>
>Brian
>M882 Ohio

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
$1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp