Re: [MV] Transport from KC to West Coast

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 01:42:58 PDT

Although present freight rates might appear to be
high, one thing to keep in mind is that they're
really a bargain. Along with my fuel and gasoline
distribution business, I was an independent trucker
for many years. Even back in the seventies it was
rare for a trucker to haul for less than a dollar a
mile. Nursery stock and grain usually paid $2.00 -
$3.00/mile. When the fuel "shortage" hit in the mid-
seventies, a good many of us parked our rigs. I was
involved with many protests and got my face on TV.
I've sent deuces out on flats recently for eighty
cents a mile, I honestly don't know how they can do
it. Lowboy and rollback trailers are usually
dedicated loads and cost more than regular flats, but
you have to have running vehicles and loading docks
at each end of the haul to use flatbeds.
I guess I should have kept my rig so I could haul
trucks in. I'm encountering problems with trucking
companies because they "don't haul GL stuff anymore."
Joe Young