Re: [MV] Intersting thought on deuce power...

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 11:23:23 PDT

Mike,
I once drove a military firetruck built on the M45A2 Multifuel deuce chassis which had an intermittent in tank fuel pump connection. As this truck weighed in at about 18000 lbs, its engine worked harder than does the one in an empty deuce.

While driving at highway speeds you could feel the in tank pump cut in and out. In city traffic and up to about 40 or so it wasn't noticeable, other than sluggish acceleration (not that a deuce normally throws you back in the seat!).

Here is a two part cheap and simple test. With the engine off, turn the electric master switch on. Walk around to the fuel tank, you should be able to hear the pump running (or, if you have driven too many miles in a Multifuel; ehhh, what did you say?....place your hand on the tank, you can feel it vibrating slightly.

If you have established the pump does run, then time for a road test. Select a section of highway with a long gentle grade. Run up the hill at highway speed, and turn the electric master switch off.....there SHOULD be a slight decrease in the RPM (watch the tach) and you should feel the truck slow slightly (imperceptable when looking at the speedometer). Switch the master back on, and the RPMs will come back up...one or two hundred RPM probably.

If this does not happen the engine is starving for fuel due to clogged lines or filters.

HTH,
David Doyle