Re: [MV] Syncros and Marines

From: Sonny Heath (sonny@defuniak.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 18:19:41 PST

About three or four years ago I went up to Baskin's truck sales on hiway 50
some fifty miles north of Memphis, Tn and took the truck that I wound up
buying a few hours later for a test drive. The owners son drove as we left
the lot and then stopped a few miles down the road and let me drive back. I
double shifted each gear as that was the way I was taught to do it at
Landstar Poole Trucking Company in the early nineties when I attended their
driving school after having driven about everything the Army had for more
than twenty years, BUT I needed a CDL to replace my Standard Form 46. The
25 year old "Whippersnapper" immediately called himself getting all over me
for using the clutch when changing gears after being in motion. He said
that the truck has a no clutch transmission or some such mess. Later I
contacted Freightliner and they said he was badly misinformed. After I got
used to the truck though I discontinued using the clutch except when
starting out and stopping.

Am I wrong and/or doing damage to the vehicle by not using the clutch?

All input appreciated.

Sonny