Re: [MV] Syncros and Marines

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 17:51:07 PST

Years ago when I was less mature (I still reserve the right to be immature)
I would double shift vehicles to make myself feel like I was driving
something more than I was (lets face it, a 61 ford falcon is no truck).

I have always noticed double shifting a synchronized transmission is more
difficult than just shifting. Your experience may differ. One thing to
consider is the extra wear on the clutch, linkage, throw out bearing and
your leg. I have also noted only the big rigs I have driven tend to have
the gear ratios close enough so that a good bump of the clutch and fuel
petal lets it slide right into the next gear. Also don't underestimate the
ability of the gear in question to slow back down to a speed lower than
desired by the time you push the clutch in and move the gear shift.

Besides I think most "real" truckers will say they don't double clutch much
on the up shift, but ALWAYS on the down shift.

Just one opinionated pessimist' take on things.
Joe Trapp