Re: [MV] Syncros and Marines

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 19:04:39 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sonny Heath" <sonny@defuniak.com>

> After I got
> used to the truck though I discontinued using the clutch except when
> starting out and stopping.
>
> Am I wrong and/or doing damage to the vehicle by not using the clutch?
>
> All input appreciated.
>
> Sonny

I think Joe Foley and Sonny make real good points. I personally think my
shifting sucks when I don't use the clutch to change gears. It is much
smoother when I double clutch, but that is mostly because I rarely drive
large trucks. I tend to be rather "jerky" when I don't use the clutch. Of
course it is easier to just release the throttle, pull the truck out of gear
and then ease it back into the next gear. Lazy on my behalf. Of course if
I drive the truck all day, by the end of the day my driving is much
improved.

I think the original question was about the M35 with the synchronized
transmission. I think most people on this list that have M35's are not used
to driving anything that big. It is to you guys that I say, "shift it like
your car or pickup". If you don't know how to double clutch that's ok. If
you want to do it that's ok. You shouldn't have too.

I also feel "learning" to double clutch on a synchronized truck is counter
productive. You can't miss a gear. Borrow someone's dump truck or
something with a 9 or 10 speed and get that holy crapp feeling when you miss
a gear and can't figure out which one to try next. That's a one of kind
feeling and it's even better if you try it in a turn and don't have the
momentum to make it through :-) You will find the M35 very easy to shift
after that.

I will now shut up.
Joe Trapp