Re: [MV] Civilian Built MV

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 11:02:02 PST

Hi Ryan,

As a Special Forces friend of mine said to me (paraphrasing)... "Iraq is
the last place in the world you want to find yourself in need of roadside
assistance". So not only must the vehicle be able to safely go from A to
B, it needs to be built in such a way as to minimize the chances that it
gets stuck inbetween. And if that should happen, maximize the chances
that help can come and come quickly.

Based on feedback I've seen from ops in Iraq, I'd say:

1. Armor capable of defeating small arms fire 360deg. Forget about RPG
protection as it isn't practical.

2. Heavy armor plating under all seat areas to increase the chances of
surviving a small sized IED. Would be nice to see that kind of plating
on the doors too, but that is much harder to do effectively. Large sized
IEDs can't be defended against, especially from side blasts, so there is
no point compromising the vehicle's other features for something that
won't work.

3. Adequate cooling and ventilation for driving "buttoned up".

4. Runflat tires. The driver should be able to choose where a flat tire
is to be changed, not the tire or the people who might have "arranged"
for it to become flat.

5. Radio with someone listening to the other end who is capable of
getting you help if needed. Sounds rather "no brainer", but
unfortunately there have been problems with this in remote areas.

6. Armored housing for Radio, GPS, and other critical systems with
integrated backup power. This is something I just thought up on my own.
 After looking at internal damage it would appear this is necessary if
any survivors are to make use of the equipment. A shredded radio doesn't
do much...

7. Overall, simple and easy to maintain mechanical components. For
example, having a complex ventilation system means nothing if it is
broken and can't be fixed.

8. Reinforced frame capable of taking the edge off a high speed roll
over or collision. Would be a shame to get flipped over by an IED and
die from catastrophic frame failure rather than the IED itself.

9. Engine, drivetrain, and suspension capable of handling all these
modifications *AND* still having plenty of "get up and go" left over. An
overworked vehicle is an unreliable vehicle. And in Iraq, unreliable is
inherently unsafe.

Other features, such as winches and gun positions, I would suspect as
being unnecessary if the vehicle is to operate alongside of military
vehicles. But since things tend to be used "out of context" it might be
good to add some of these things even if they are not expected to be used.

Steve