Re: [MV] VIRTUAL

From: dgrev (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 17:58:29 PST

Patrick

> I can see Worshestershire on fries/chips, but
> Worshestershire = Hot sauce? Say it isn't so! What do they do for
> something hotter, like Texas or Mexico hot? Or is it just not done?

Tabasco is known here, but I have yet to meet anyone who puts it
on chips. Personally I like it on Pizza. Our culinary habits
closely followed those of the UK until the 1960s. At the risk of
offending the Poms, it was a fairly lack lustre diet - then all
the ethnic stuff took off and now we have everything from Bagels
(can't figure out what you Yanks see in them) to Sushi.

It does surprise me to see Tabasco included in MREs, which I think
says quite a bit about the inherent lack of taste of what is
in the main portions.......... I am thus not surprised that
the main portions have names like Vegetable Faglioli (sp?) which
sounds totally tastless.

You just want to hope that they never decide to include Fish & Chips
in the MREs, that would also be less than appetising. Some things are
best eaten freshly cooked.

For those who may be interested there is another varitation
on the chips theme that I was discussing off list with a Brit who has
been out here for MV meets (yes we do have them in Oz, they are
by UK/US standards fairly small):

> Going back to "chips", I remember travelling through NSW back country
> and stopping for lunch at a pub, the guy who I was with said try
Chips > & Gravy, well thats a new one on me, nothing else with it!

I watched some served 3 days ago at a local coffee/sandwhich shop. I did
wonder at the time how the 2 young skinny, school girlies were each
going to knock over such massive portions. Would be interested to see a
cholesterol test done soon after...

One Oz tradition that really leaves me stone cold is a Pie Floater.
What a disgusting concoction. Mind you, they only ever seem to be
consumed by drunks at 2am, which tells you a lot.

(For the non-colonials, a Pie Floater is a meat pie served hot,
floating in a bowl of thick split-pea (green) soup. You need a
fork, knife and soup spoon to eat it - better with sauce (yes - Tomato
Sauce on the pie). It is an Australian tradition which as I said above,
I think is disgusting. It can usually be purchased after about Midnight
from Pie Carts, those of you who have been to Sydney and gone out for
the nightlife will probably recall these. Any Vietnam Vets who did R & R
in Oz will know exactly what I mean.)

Regards
Doug