Re: [MV] VIRTUAL

From: dgrev (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 19:32:04 PST

Chris

> Bagels follow the American tradition. Cram 5 slices of bread into the
> smallest portion possible - then load it with cream cheese or butter to
> stock up on fats and sugars. Although it's a gut bomb deluxe, chased
> with the largest possible cup of coffee it sometimes serves as a decent
> breakfast.
>
> Now what pray tell is a meat pie?

Essentially a pastry container with mince steak, gravy and something
glutinous. Normally eaten straight out of a paper bag, which is a
bit of an art as the contents will run all over your chin and shirt.
Much better to eat in a shop with a knife and fork off a plate.

See here: http://www.patties.com.au/fourntwenty.html

Picture isn't the best but will have to do, description is quite good.
Meat Pies are an Australian institution. Even the military has had to
supply them when overseas. Definetly not an MRE item - on site bakery
needed. They do not respond at all well to being microwaved as they
go all soggy, for any business to do so is a quick way to go broke.

Ah, look here too:
http://www.dinkumaussies.com/FOOD%20&%20DRINK/Meat%20Pie.htm

I doubt there is any military base in Australia where you would
not be able to find a corner store or pub reasonably close by
serving meat pies.

Regards
Doug