Re: [MV] Helicopter Sealed Bid at Surplus Property

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 21:13:33 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Kirkley" <mojoedd@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Helicopter Sealed Bid at Surplus Property

> Hi Jim,
>
> As for experimental aircraft, they can't haul passengers, (for pay I
think,
> a little rusty here), can't be used as a commercial aircraft, can't fly
over
> some areas without prior FAA permission and a few other things that I
can't
> bring to mind, sorry.
>
> As for UH1.com I have no knowledge good or bad for those folks.

A lot of the stuff he has up there has been around for awhile. You can see
from the dates the ads were posted. Also, you'll find the same phone number
at the bottom of most of the 'Classified Ads' which just comes back to
Dakota Air Parts itself, so it's more of 'For Sale' section for DAP than
anything approaching a nationwide clearing-house for ex-military ships.

I ran some of the military machines he had up there to see what the deal was
with them. I don't know for sure, but some of them showed up as still on
inventory at AMARC/ Davis Monthan Air Force Base, which made it appear as
though he were offering the machines up as a sort of trial balloon without
actually possessing them, hoping to make a few dollars in markup without
having to buy them outright to begin with and sit on them as inventory.
Again, that's what it looked like to me after doing some homework.
Corrections appreciated. Either way, he's sold a few of the ones in that
category (though who knows if he got anything near what he was asking in the
ads), so it must be working out for him.

(Disclaimer: I've never spoken with Dakota Air Parts nor do I know anyone
who's dealt with them, so I too couldn't say whether they're "good or bad".)