Re: [MV] How to spot frauds on eBay

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 12:23:10 PDT

On May 19, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Mil-Veh Co. wrote:

> 4. Seller wants a wire transfer, big, big red flag!

Not necessarily. In Europe this is still the standard way of doing
business on eBay. PayPal is making some inroads, but for the most part
it is either cash or wire transfer. One of the reasons is that, unlike
the US, wire transfers in Europe are very cheap AND standard. In fact,
most banks charge for drafting and/or depositing checks to a degree
that is several times more than wire transfers, hence the lack of
checks even.

I do a fair amount of eBay purchasing in Europe so I've got a German
bank account that I use for transfers. Transfers from a US account to
Europe is super expensive!!

Steve