Re: [MV] Aervoe Paint - Keeping fingers crossed....

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 11:53:52 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "MV" <MV@dc9.tzo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:57 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Aervoe Paint - Keeping fingers crossed....

> In fact lacquer thinner put on a dried enamel will generally remove the
> enamel eventually. You cannot apply lacquer paint over enamel paint
> since it will cause the enamel to lift and really make a mess of the
> paint job. I would suggest using plan old "paint thinner" available
> from the hardware store to thin enamel paint.

I tried the good old paint thinner from the hardware store, but I found it
didn't seem to evaporate fast enough for the conditions I typically paint
under. If I had to describe the effect, I'd have to say it "wouldn't stick"
to the surface to be painted, and just sort of ran everywhere. I tried
different ratios of paint/thinner, different HVLP gun settings - you name
it, I tried it. That's pretty much why I've stuck with the Xylene-based
thinners since then. Could be I've missed something very basic when
spraying with good old paint thinner, but...nothing leaps to mind.

Someone asked about hardener, but I couldn't tell to whom it was directed.
The Gillespie and Aervoe stuff I've used is single-component (no hardener),
though I understand the 'real' CARC as used by the military is
two-component. The Industrial Enamel I have custom-mixed is likewise
single-component because the vehicles are always repainted different colours
for different productions, so I'm always putting the lid back on the can for
later use. Works better this way because I don't have to worry about
lifting earlier layers of paint when I have to respray.

(as to the 'lifting' properties of Lacquer-thinned paint, yes, I've come
across that on helmets and stuff - or recently-repainted vehicles - but not
so much the ones which have been baking in the sun for a few years. Again,
I plan on pretty much avoiding it altogether now unless I'm cornered by some
unreasonable deadline and run out of goodstuff.)