Re: [MV] Oh NO!..DOT

From: Mike (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 20:37:43 PDT

The big question I have is do the regs say you need a Class A CDL for a trailer over 10,000 pounds? I am strictly talking about weight here, not if it is commercial or personal use.

Looking at the Mississippi manual:

You must have a CDL if:

A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating is more than 26,000.

BUT, I have also seen it written elsewhere as: A combination weight over 26,000 pounds OR a trailer over 10,000. That would mean a 1/2 ton pickup with a flatbed trailer with two 5200 pound axles would need a class A CDL.

Of course that doesn’t help Dave any with his 24,000 GVWR trailer does it? ie it is based on GVWR not what it is tagged for?

Mike
Tishomingo, MS