Re: gas and fuel costs - long

From: Joe Shannon (fordpart@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 10:20:29 PST

MV wrote:

> Well, I'd like Joe Shannon to pipe up here and comment on my replay
> also - please do Joe.
>
> I've got one commercial truck right now (26K tags) and I'm about to
> bring a tractor online also. I've got an IFTA Account for the truck I
> have now since I have pulled a trailer with it also so that puts it
> into the combination vehicle class which requires an IFTA sticker and
> quarterly fuel tax reporting/paying.
>
> I'm a private carrier so I don't have an MC number or Authorization to
> be a common carrier. (If this is going over your head, get in line -
> it took me a while to figure this out)
>
> Some definitions might be helpful for those not stricken by US
> Government trucking regs.
>
> MC number - shown on side of the cab of commerical carriers - An
> authorization number which means you have been granted the right to be
> a common carrier.
>
> IFTA number (and corresponding cab stickers) - International Fuel Tax
> Agreement - a way to pay fuel taxes "fairly" depending on what states
> you operate in. Must file quarterly returns.
>
> IRP account - International Registration Plan - read - "International
> license plate plan" - so that each state can suck some money out of
> you for driving a big rig in their state.
>
> When you go to the truck stop as an independant trucker if you have an
> MC number they will not make you pay the sales tax on the fuel since
> you are supposed to be using your IFTA account to pay all applicable
> taxes. The taxes paid by truckers with the IFTA stickers are actaully
> higher than if you were just going to pay the regular sales tax at the
> pump. Although you might not have to pay the tax at the pump, if you
> are honest on your IFTA quarterly filings, then you pay the regular
> sales tax amount and then some. No price break or tax break for
> truckers. Now if you are not honest about your IFTA filings, well then
> that is a different story.
>
> As I understand it now, most trucking companies are giving truckers
> rebates or price relief of fuel costs on top of their regular pay so
> they can hopefully make some money. These rebates are being tacked
> onto shipping charges are fuel surcharges that everyone pays. There
> are no great prices breaks for truckers anywhere that I can find.
>
> I think most truckers are resigned to paying higher prices. What's
> the point of bitching about it constantly. They have no control over
> it anyway. I'm sure the big carriers are constantly trying to
> negotiate the best fuel prices - wouldn't you? As a small guy, I just
> pay what it takes to get stuff from there to here and so forth. It's
> just getting really expensive.
>
> I went to Sam's club yesterday and bought two cases of Rotella T
> $44.00/case. One case of Antifreeze - $45.00/case and a bunch of
> transmission fluid. Total bill was $187. That same stuff would have
> been close to a $100 just 12 months ago.
>
> The government says that inflation is about 2% per year or so. That's
> [...]

    Dave, I agree with what you say as a whole. Sonny has obviously
worked for someone else all his life, probably the government and had no
responsibilities that fell directly on his shoulders. And as for him
implying that I am a newcomer to the MV world I don't recall seeing him
at any of the conventions in the last 10 years that I have been a member
of the MVPA. If you would like to see one of my MVs turn to page 184 of
the Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles and take a gander, you
might see my name mentioned on page 4 also.

    Anyway, Dave, had I known that the paperwork would be as much
trouble as it is I might have gone another route other than getting my
own authority but in my ignorance I went at it whole hog about 3 years
ago and after almost going broke waiting the 5 months for my authority
to be granted (and paying insurance all this time for nothing) it has
smoothed out but I will warn you that going with a 18 wheeler adds to
the scale house headaches because they automatically look at a big truck
more that a straight truck.

Anyone wanting more information can go to www.safersys.org and look me
up or anyone else who runs trucks.

--

/"Sirs, you have no reason to be ashamed of your Confederate dead; see to it they have no reason to be ashamed of you"/