Re: Irrelevant postings

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 08:10:26 PST

Sorry Jay, but....

 Well, for those that have NEVER looked, or whose memory is a bit shaky
about the last time they looked, like mine, GO HERE:

http://mil-veh.org/

And I quote:

"The military vehicles mailing list is a forum for those who privately own
or are interested in military vehicles from any country and of any type,
from bicycles to tanks.

Discussion can cover repair of vehicles, buying and selling vehicles and
spare parts, weapons, paint, markings, technical documentation, and
notification of clubs, parades, and conventions for military vehicle owners.
Most any discussion concerning issues of interest to military vehicle
collectors is appropriate, though military matters beyond historical
background would likely belong on sci.military. "

    And that's exactly what "THIS LIST" is for.

    I joined the list because it "...WAS THAT LIMITED..." at least when
Arthur actively monitored it and booted folks off for violations.

    But thinking it is OK now is like saying that shoplifting and not
getting caught is not really shoplifting because you didn't get caught so
nobody knows you stole anything because there is no proof that what you got
in your hand was ever not in your hand because the guy you stole it from
doesn't know it's missing or that you took it, which nobody can prove.

    Kinda like getting pissed when somebody takes something off your vehicle
at a parade or rally when you're explaining something to someone on the
other side of your truck, or when 'Junior' dump his Coke all over the seat
because you let folks in the cab to 'experience' your HMV. Not the parents
fault or the kids fault their kid broke your truck that you were nice enough
to let them climb into to experience living history. You're the 'arsehole'
because you tell 'Jr.' to stop (FIVE TIMES!!!!!) pulling the bungee cord
across the cargo body after he puts the bungee cord hook (which is pulling

out) through the seats while 'Mommy' zones out thinking 'Jr.' is contained
in a big OD playpen with 20 other undisciplined evil spawn of the NIMBY X
generation. The ones who don't want to see replica weapons on your big,
nasty HMVs. Who complain about evil Ferrets and the lack of lights and
bumpers on your deuce but not about their use of cell phones and looking
back and feeding fries to their evil spawn in their child seats in the back

seats of their minivans at 85 MPH while trying to change the DVD in the
entertainment system. "Officer, the accident was caused by that slow moving,

camouflage painted military truck that has no right being on the road with
modern cars. WHAT would anyone want with something like that? I wonder what

he is REALLY up to with that?"

    It's always 'my' problem, not theirs or yours, right?

    We've all been guilty of wandering off topic, and some of us have been
THE 'off topic'. But that doesn't allow us the right to selective memory to
rewrite the charter of the list, or like the Smithsonian wanted to do about
the 'Enola Gay's' mission and reason for urban renewal of downtown
Hiroshima, or the young POS who wish to dishonor Greg Boyington's memory or

what he did. An Ace, POW and Medal of Honor recipient, Boyington himself
admitted he was human and summed up his foibles in his autobiography by
stating "If this story were to have a moral, then I would say, 'Just name a
hero and I'll prove he's a bum.'". BTW, his memory is not dishonored by all
University of Washington alumni or their newspaper columns, at least as of
1998...
http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/dec98/back_pages1298.html
. What is going on there is an example of what's wrong with the citizens of
this country, our elected officials and the folks on 'THIS LIST' who would
like to selectively bend the past to suit 'their' present conception of it.

    Oppps, embarrassed by documents that have been declassified and in the
public realm for 25 years but show you made some bone head choices as a low

level bureaucrat? Head of an agency or department now and have the clout to
change that little embarrassing problem now? Just 'reclassify' them (and 25
million pages of other 'unrelated' documents) as being in the national
security interest and make them disappear again. Been to ETM online lately

and seen stuff ( i.e. 20 year old manuals on heaters) that used to be
available as 'unrestricted' and in the public domain are now on a different

site and need a password? Things are not looking good folks.

    Everyone needs to 'try' and be good boys here, since we all have
somewhat common interests. We're all human and slip from time to time and
become dopes and arseholes, but when the going gets tough, you never know
who is going to become the guy who saves your arse. "He' who might be the
'slightly' off topic poster today and gets a little singed by the rest of
us, just might be the guy who saddles up and drives a couple of hundred
miles to help you out in a time of need, and refuses reimbursement for gas
and the stuff he brings. Or lets you have that one critical, non findable
part you've been looking for for two years to finish your restoration for
what he paid for it 10 years ago at a yard sale or found in a box of stuff
he bought at Aberdeen that he has no use for, maybe even for free, just
'because' he's that way. Or he might possess a silly little piece of
knowledge gained over twenty years of HMV ownership that he discovered over
six weeks of screwing with his fuel compensator, steering box or wiring
harness that could save you the same amount of head scratching but doesn't
impart to you because you flamed him about capitals or spelling or history
posts five months back.

    So lighten up folks,, take a deep breath, use the 'delete' key as
required and enjoy each others company here without going crazily off topic.
Or going crazy about occasional off topic posts.

    Life is too short to suffer a vapor lock over things we REALLY don't
have any control over.

    Regards, Ronzo

    Occasional Off Topic Arsehole, but usually well meaning SOB