Re: Unimog insurance problems (Maine)

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 14:15:49 PST

Hi Greg,

> Welcome to the wonderful world of Unimogs.

Thanks! Still trying to figure out what everything on it does because
the manual I have is for a newer model.

> This sounds like a problem related to a specific state, and the name
> Unimog.

Perhaps. I know that I was flat out rejected by my current carrier
because they don't insure military vehicles, which they have the Unimog
classified as. This is BS since the Unimog is a commercial vehicle
that some militaries happen to use. According to this faulty logic,
all Chevy Blazers are military vehicles!

> My suggestion is to ask on the mog mailing list

Which mailing list? I've found that many have no activity and the one
I thought did hasn't sent a single message my way since I signed up (3
days ago).

> The DMV here has the same
> issues - they have no clue what the actual characteristics are of air
> over
> hydraulics, and straight air....I went to three DMV offices, in between
> being sent to California Highway Patrol for technical inspection.
> Still no
> joy. One of the CHP officers gave me the best advice - take it to a
> rural
> DMV and process it there. I did and that took care of that.

Good advice. Unfortunately, we don't have rural DMVs here in Maine
because we are... too rural! You register your vehicles at the town
hall, but you have to go to one of the larger cities (like 20,000+) to
do license stuff. I called the nearest (Bangor) and they said they
hadn't a clue and that I needed to talk with Augusta (the capital).
That's where I got my info from, though I think it is incorrect. I'm
planning on calling on Monday and getting a better answer.

As I said before, it is the insurance that is bugging me... CDL I could
care less about. Rather not have to get one, but in Maine it is no big
deal or expense.

Steve