Military Vehicles, November 1996,: Re: CDL Licensing

Re: CDL Licensing

Andrew Beebe (
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:46:40 -0500


You need to check Calif. Motor Vehicle laws, but in most states, as long as
the vehicle is registered with a Gross Weight (vehicle and cargo) of under
10,000lbs. you don't need a CDL. If you notice the doors of all U-haul type
vehicles, they usually have a sticker that says GVWR 9,900 or Gross Vehicle
Weight Registered of 9,900lbs.

So you should be able to register the vehicle for that, as long as the
truck doesn't weight more the 10,000lbs empty.


> From: Sean Bathrick <>
> To: Gale Barrows <barrowsg@RAPIDNET.COM>;
> Subject: CDL Licensing
> Date: Monday, November 11, 1996 9:00 AM
> Form: Memo
> Text: (15 lines follow)
> I recently purchased a '51 M135, 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck. I had it
> and have been working on it. It is to the point that I can drive it. I
> understand that I don't need a CDL to operate it, but have been told that
> need a class B license, in the state of California. Is this right? Are
> there any provitions for vehicles with Historic plates? It seems to me
> if I was driving it for business it might be different. But this is used

> for sporatic, personnal use. I can go and rent U-Haul trucks and haul
> greater than anything I'll ever put in this truck, all with a class C
> license. Does anyone know of a loop hole? I have my military license
> 2 and 1/2 ton 6X6 rating, but I seriously doubt that a Highway Patrolman
> would let me off with that. Any comments would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Sean
> Use Proportional Font: true
> Attachment Count: 0