Military Vehicles, November 1996,: Re: CDL Licensing

Re: CDL Licensing

Gale Barrows (
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:41:38 -0700 (MST)

>I just went thru this BS myself. In CA you need a class B lic for anything
>with air brakes, even if it is only 2 axle. To register your truck, take the
>bill of sale to DMV and ask for a historical vehicle license application. You
>may also need to have the VIN verified by a DMV employee or police officer.
>The historical license is a $25 one time fee, in addition to the lowest
>regular registration. You will also have to pay the regular registration each
>year, about $27. With the Historical Vehicle plate you are exempt from the
>weight fees, and some minor vehicle equipment requirements. Anthing older
>than '65 should not need a smog cert, for now. You can only drive to or from
>exhibitions, parades, shows, club meetings, or related functions. This may
>also make your insurance cheaper.
>Good Luck!
Remeber that US GI 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks do not have air brakes !!!
They are hydraulic brakes even though they have air ***BOOST*** which is
legaly the same as power brakes on your passenger car.